The International Baccalaureate Diploma is a 2-year university preparatory education course, where all teaching takes place in English, and where curriculum, tests, and examinations are determined globally by IBO. With an internationally-recognised diploma, you can open the doors to universities around the world.
2 exciting years at high speed
The IB Diploma follows a very demanding and intensive curriculum consisting of six academic subject groups. As a student, you must choose a subject from each of the groups so that you get a broad, holistic understanding of the humanistic, scientific and creative. Each subject is concluded with a written exam, which is assessed by a censor from the IB organisation on the basis of international criteria and is awarded a grade between 1 and 7.
The 6 academic subject groups
Group 1: Language and Literature
- Danish A (Higher and Standard Level)
- English A (Higher and Standard Level)
- Spanish (Higher and Standard Level)
- Self-study A (Standard Level)
Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Danish B (Higher and Standard Level)
- English B (Higher and Standard Level)
Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Economics (Higher and Standard Level)
- History (Higher and Standard Level)
- Psychology (Standard Level)
- Global Politics og Environmental Systems and Societies (Higher and Standard Level)
Group 4: Natural Sciences
- Biology (Higher and Standard Level)
- Chemistry (Higher and Standard Level)
- Physics (Higher and Standard Level)
- Environmental Systems and Societies (Standard Level)
Group 5: Mathematics
- Math Studies
- Mathematics (Higher and Standard Level)
Group 6: The Arts
- Theatre (Higher and Standard Level)
- Visual Arts (Higher and Standard Level)
IB Diploma's three core subjects
In addition to your subjects, all IB students also have the following three core subjects:
- The CAS program
As a special part of the IB Diploma program, you must go through the CAS program, which takes at least 18 months. CAS is an abbreviation of Creativity, Activity and Service, and the course is a prerequisite for completing the education. The CAS program can be combined with the school's other offers, as you participate in creative activities, unfold and challenge yourself physically and help other people through unpaid voluntary work. The purpose of the program is to increase your self-understanding and to show you that you can do more than you think.
- Extended Essay
You must do an academic research project during the course of the two years. The project requires exploration and close study of your chosen subject and teaches you crucial academic skills that you will need for a higher education.
- Theory of Knowledge
TOK is a course that teaches you to compare, distinguish and unite the academic disciplines. You will train your own critical thinking, learn about the nature of science and man's way of perceiving, understanding and applying science.
- Information about subject choices
- Take your SAT in Denmark here
- IBO General Regulations
- Convert IB grades to Danish grades
- New rules for converting IB grades gives student benefits when applying for Danish universities etc.